Business Licenses

Starting a Business

Are you starting a new business? Or, perhaps you are an existing business owner interested in moving to Snohomish. If so, please visit Starting a Business for an overview of things to keep in mind as you plan for your new or relocating business.

Who Needs a Business License?

All businesses and individuals conducting business in the City of Snohomish are required to obtain a City license. This includes all services and activities located and/or performed within the City limits and includes home occupations, solicitors/canvassers, the rental of commercial property, and the rental of four or more rooms or apartments for residential use. Please see Snohomish Municipal Code Chapter 5.02 for a complete definition and license exemptions.

When to Apply

A City business license should be obtained before beginning business. Please allow sufficient time for review of your application; the City Clerk shall approve or deny the license application within thirty (30) days of receipt. Additional review time may be required for special licenses.

What is Required?

City of Snohomish or Snohomish County?

The license requirements of the City of Snohomish do not apply to businesses operating within unincorporated Snohomish County or other Snohomish County cities. Please verify that you will be conducting business in the City of Snohomish before applying for a City business license.
If you are not sure whether your business activity is located within the City limits, please contact us.

Parking and Business Improvement Area

Businesses located within the Historic Business District are subject to an annual Parking and Business Improvement Area (PBIA) fee which is assessed with the business license application/renewal. The PBIA fee is based on the type and square footage of the business.

If you are not sure whether your business is within the Historic Business District (HBD), please review the Snohomish Planning Department's Interactive Map of Land Use Designations. Use the search bar to enter your business address. If the location is pale pink, it is located in the HBD. If you are still unsure whether or not your business is subject to the PBIA fee, please contact us.

For information regarding Parking and Business Improvement Area services and meetings please call Debbie Carlson-Gould, Promotions & Marketing Director for Historic Downtown Snohomish, at 425-330-0831.

No Longer in Business?

If you are no longer doing business in Snohomish and you wish to cancel your license, please contact us.